Learn Chinese in China Guide (2017)
Study Chinese In China With That's Mandarin
Join Our Summer 2017 Camp
Learn Chinese Online
Oraganize a school trip to China
Why Learn Chinese in China?
Choosing to learn Chinese in China for 2 week to 1 year or more, offers you the best opportunity immerse in to the Culture and language and gain insight into China’s past and present, and know more about Chinese people’s daily life. In addition, if you are a person who likes a bit of challenge, you are always welcome to work in China and contribute to its fast-paced development. China’s cities like Beijing and Shanghai have steadily growing economies that are creating numerous job opportunities for both Chinese people and foreigners, which will allow you to practice Chinese not only in class but also at work with your colleagues.
Which Are The Best Cities to learn Chinese in While in China?
When choosing where you study in China, getting to Know which city is the right for the type of experience you want to gain is a good place to start your China journey. Here is out top 4 recommended best cities to live in while learning chinese in China.
BEIJING (北京 běi jīng): Standard Mandarin Chinese has developed based on Beijing dialect. Therefore, a chance to learn Chinese in Beijing is something you wouldn’t like to miss. There are several spectacular places worth visiting in Beijing, such as the Great Wall, which was listed as a world’s cultural heritage site in 1987. In addition, Beijing has the largest number of universities of different kinds in China, quite a few of which offer Chinese courses to overseas students. Besides universities, private Chinese language schools in Beijing are also very popular among Chinese learners. No matter you are a fan of Beijing opera, or you are interested in the unique “Hutong Culture” of Beijing (“hutong” means alley), or you would like to see a traditional Chinese wedding with your own eyes, Beijing has everything you need to enjoy the fascinating Chinese culture. Moreover, if you choose to learn Chinese in Beijing, you will never get bored as there are so many things to do in Beijing. If you are into culture and history, there are a couple of museums such as the National Museum of China that you definitely want to visit. If you like to go out with friends and have a drink together, then Sanlitun, the modern shopping & dining complex is the right place to go as it’s famous for its “pub street” in Beijing. Beijing is the capital of China, and it’s also the political and cultural center of China.
- The Best Private School to learn Chinese in Beijing with: That’s Mandarin Beijing
- Best Chinese Beijing Universities with strong Chinese language courses: Beijing Language & Culture University, Beijing Foreign Studies University.
- Best Berijing Chinese Summer Camps that include Mandarin Chinese tuition and cultural lessons in China: Chinese Summer Camp, Confucius Institute.
- Best Chinese School Tours and Trips that include Chinese Language and cultural lessons in Beijing, China: China School Trip, Leisure World Education Tours, NST
Beijing is the capital of China, and it’s also the political and cultural center of China.
SHANGHAI (上海 shàng hǎi): Shanghai is the financial center of China, where numerous job opportunities. If you are thinking of coming to China to learn Chinese, Shanghai could be an ideal choice. Not only because Shanghai is the financial center of China, where numerous job opportunities are open to you, but also because people from Shanghai are known for their open-mindedness, which means they are eager to know more about different cultures and willing to make new friends. Consequently, you’ll have a lot of chances to practice Chinese with local people and this will indisputably allow you to quickly improve your Chinese language skills and help you ace in your Chinese learning journey. Bearing in mind that Shanghai is one of the most vibrant cities in the world, more and more foreigners start looking for job opportunities in Shanghai. Indeed, being the financial center of China, Shanghai welcome people from all over the world to pursue a career, If you choose to learn Chinese in Shanghai, you’ll definitely have the chance to practice what you’ve learned in class with your colleagues at work. More importantly, safety is guaranteed in Shanghai. Statistically, Shanghai is one of the safest cities in China and is ranked 30th in the world for safety. In addition, local people in Shanghai are always ready to offer help to tourists and foreigners.
- The Best Private School to learn Chinese with in Shanghai: That’s Mandarin Shanghai
- Best Chinese Universities with strong Chinese language courses in Shanghai: Shanghai Jiaotong University, Donghua University, East China Normal University
- Best Shanghai Chinese Summer Camps that include Mandarin Chinese tuition and cultural lessons in China: Chinese Summer Camp, Confucius Institute.
- Best Chinese School Tours and Trips that include Chinese Language and cultural lessons in Shanghai, China: China School Trip, Leisure World Education Tours, NST
You’ll have a lot of chances to practice Chinese with local people and this will indisputably allow you to quickly improve your Chinese language skills and help you ace in your Chinese learning journey.
GUANGZHOU (广州 guǎng zhōu) Guangzhou is the third most important cities of China after Beijing and Shanghai, it is also the least-polluted one among these three cities. Guangzhou is the political, financial and cultural center of South China, and many international companies set up their headquarters or regional headquarters here in Guangzhou. One of the reasons why Guangzhou is such a lovely place to stay in is that it has a subtropical monsoon climate, which means it’s neither too hot nor too cold throughout the year. However, due to the city’s geographic location, in summer, which starts in April and ends in September, you do need to prepare for frequent afternoon thunderstorms. Just like Beijing and Shanghai, Guangzhou owns a well-developed metro network. At the present time, eight subway lines are in use and they connect the city center with most major areas of the city. Another thing worth mentioning is that there’s no need to make a fuss about taking a taxi in Guangzhou because it’s really cheap. Usually, a taxi charges only 10RMB (1.46USD) for the first 2.5 kilometers and 2.6RMB(0.38USD) for succeeding kilometers.
- The Best Private School to learn Chinese with in Guangzhou: Mandarin House, Newconceptmandarin
- Best Chinese Universities with strong Chinese language courses in Guangzhou: Sun Yat-Sen University,
- Best Guangzhou Chinese Summer Camps that include Mandarin Chinese tuition and cultural lessons in China: Studyabroadinternational
- Best Chinese School Tours and Trips that include Chinese Language and cultural lessons in Guangzhou, China: Studyabroadinternational
Guangzhou is the political, financial and cultural center of South China, and many international companies set up their headquarters.
CHENGDU (成都 chéng dū) Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan province, a place which has always enjoyed the reputation of being “Heavenly Kingdom” due to its unique geographic location and an excellent natural environment. Chengdu plays an important role of the financial, cultural, transportation and communication center of Southwest China, and just like Guangzhou, a large number of companies have established branches or representative offices here in Chengdu in order to meet the growing demand of Western China. If you would like to travel a bit and make an acquaintance with the Chinese culture and religion when learning Chinese in China, then Chengdu is the right place to choose. There are quite a few tourist hotspots near Chengdu, including Mount Emei, the highest of the four sacred Buddhist Mountains in China; and Great Buddha Status, an enormous Buddha which is 71 meters tall and sits erect with an armed guard standing on both sides. In addition to tourist attractions, you may also want to try the famous Sichuan cuisine, which is known for its spicy dishes.
- The Best Private School to learn Chinese with in Chengdu: Mandarin House
- Best Chinese Universities with strong Chinese language courses in Chengdu: Sichuan University
- Best Chengdu Chinese Summer Camps that include Mandarin Chinese tuition and cultural lessons in China: Studyabroadinternational
- Best Chinese School Tours and Trips that include Chinese Language and cultural lessons in Chengdu, China: Studyabroadinternational
There are quite a few tourist hotspots near Chengdu, including Mount Emei, the highest of the four sacred Buddhist Mountains in China
Which Private Chinese languages school is the best for learning Chinese while in China?
Studying Chinese at a private Chinese language school has certain advantages over learning Chinese at university because the latter usually doesn’t offer flexible schedules. So, if you are looking to learn Chinese at a private language school in Beijing or Shanghai, we would recommend you That’s Mandarin Chinese Language School.
That’s Mandarin specializes in teaching Mandarin Chinese language with schools in Beijing and Shanghai, as well as online. Established in 2005, That’s Mandarin welcomes over 3000+ students every year from various countries and help them achieve their learning goals using effective in-house developed teaching methods such as Link Word and Story Telling. Students also have access to That’s Mandarin’s online integrated learning platform/App called Smart Lingo to complement their in-class lessons.
That’s Mandarin offers various language programs that can be tailor-made to students’ needs and interests: Intensive Chinese 1-on-1 & small group class, Part-time Chinese 1-on-1 & small group class, Business Chinese, etc.
“At That’s Mandarin you can learn Chinese quickly, enabling you to master daily life phrases and terms in China. I can easily speak with the locals and get things done.” – Ryan H.
“They created a warm, friendly environment. They encouraged us to do better. Even in a group setting, I learned so much in such a short amount of time.” – Sofia M.
Which are the best Chinese Universities for Learning Chinese in China?
- Beijing Language & Culture University: One of the most prestigious universities in China for learning foreign languages. It’s a perfect place for overseas students to study the Chinese language and culture as Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) was designed and developed by Beijing Language & Culture University.
- Beijing Foreign Studies University: The best university for international studies in China and is famous for its multinational culture. Beijing Foreign Studies University offers comprehensive Chinese language courses to overseas students and has rich experience of teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
- Capital Normal University: One of the two major normal universities in Beijing. Its College of International Education offers short-term and long-term Chinese language training for international students. Overseas students also have the opportunity to obtain a degree in the Chinese language from Capital Normal University.
- Shanghai Jiaotong University: One of the top universities in Shanghai and China. Located in Xujiahui, a central area of Shanghai, Shanghai Jiaotong University offers high-quality Chinese classes for students who prefer to study Chinese in a convenient location.
- Donghua University: One of the most popular universities for Chinese learners in Shanghai. The University is located in West Shanghai and is not far from Hongqiao airport. The university has all the necessary facilities available on campus to offer students an enjoyable and efficient learning experience.
- East China Normal University: Being one of the most prestigious normal universities in China, East China Normal University has a high reputation in Chinese language education. The University has established partnerships with different institutions and organizations across the globe for cultural exchange.
- Sun Yat-Sen University: One of the best universities in China and constantly ranked as the top university in South China. The University started to offer Chinese courses to overseas students since 2004, it is also the first HSK test center in South China.
- Sichuan University: One of the most prestigious universities in Southwest China. The university has a large number of international students learning in different faculties. It offers Chinese language and Chinese culture programs to undergraduate students.
Who Offer the Best Chinese Immersion Summer Camps for Learning in China?
It’s a good idea to send your kid to China to participate a Chinese summer camp, as it’s a good opportunity to have a taste of the authentic Chinese culture as well as to make new friends. Here we would like to recommend you the following Chinese summer camp programs.
- Chinese Summer Camp: Chinese Summer Camp (for children aged 8-17) is designed to introduce and strengthen kids’ understanding of the Chinese language, culture and history through interactive Chinese lessons, cultural activities and exciting field trips to some of the best sites in China like Beijing and Shanghai. Five types of Camp Program (Class-only Camp, Day Camp, Full Camp, Homestay Camp and Family Camp) are on offer, and kids can choose to join one of our two-week and four-week programs. Chinese Summer Camp starts on June 12th and ends on August 20th.
“This has been such a great experience! Our daughter had so much fun and she enjoyed all the activities and field trips. We would like to come back again next year.” – Michelle W.
- Confucius Institute: The Confucius Institute Summer Camp Program is organized jointly by Confucius Institute Headquarters and Office of Chinese Language Council International (Hanban). It offers pupils a good opportunity to experience authentic Chinese language and culture. In Shanghai, the Confucius Institute Summer Camp Program is often operated jointly with top universities in China. In addition to learning Chinese, pupils can also visit tourist attractions in China and make new friends.
- iMandarin: iMandarin has been offering Chinese summer camps for 5 years and it promises to deliver pupils a first-class summer camp experience not just limited to the Chinese language learning, but also fascinating cultural activities such as making dumplings, watching martial arts, calligraphy, etc. Pupils will be arranged to stay in well-facilitated apartments.
Who are the Best China School Trips and Tours Providers in China?
Participating in school trips is another good option for kids to study, play, explore and try new things. Here we’ve also prepared a couple of school trip options for you to choose from.
- China School Trip: China School Trip has 9 years of experience organizing school trips for kids and teens. Three types of school trips are on offer: 1) Play & Explore Trip, which includes a mix of sightseeing tours and cultural activities with plenty of play and a lot of exploration in Beijing or Shanghai; 2) Learn, Play & Explore Trip, which is an all-in-one trip that includes similar amount of Chinese lessons, cultural activities and field trips in Beijing or Shanghai; 3) Intensive Chinese Learn, which focuses on in-class Chinese lessons and cultural activities, with some sightseeing field trips in Beijing or Shanghai.
- Leisure World Education Tours: Leisureworld is a school travel specialist that provides students quality educational school trips across the globe including the USA, China, Australia, etc. The two main destinations in China are Beijing and Shanghai. Leisureworld’s school trips are tailored to suit students’ educational requirements. There are different subjects on offer, such as history, art, and geography, students can choose which subject they are interested in.
- NST: NST is the educational travel experts and has years of experience in designing school trips to over 100 destinations worldwide. NST has worked with thousands of schools over the years and is able to provide comprehensive school trip services to support schools before, during and after their tour. Its extensive knowledge of destinations across the globe helps offer schools a unique studying experience.
Which are The Best Chinese Language Schools, Universities, and Chinese Summer Camps in China for Learning Mandarin?
- The Best Private School to learn Chinese with: That’s Mandarin, Beijing & Shanghai
- Best Chinese Universities with strong Chinese language courses: Beijing Language & Culture University, Beijing Foreign Studies University, Capital Normal University, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Donghua University, East China Normal University, Sun Yat-Sen University and Sichuan University
- Best Chinese Summer Camps that include Mandarin Chinese tuition and cultural lessons in China: Chinese Summer Camp, Confucius Institute
- Best Chinese School Tours and Trips that include Chinese Language and cultural lessons in China: China School Trip, Leisure World Education Tours, NST